Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ridge Will Not Run in 2010

Former Pennsylvania Governor and U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge says "After careful consideration and many conversations with friends and family and the leadership of my party, I have decided not to seek the Republican nomination for Senate.” When Senator Arlen Specter switched parties to run in the Democratic primary in 2010 rumors began to fly that Ridge would run in the Republican primary. The announcement leaves Pat Toomey and Peg Luksik as announced Republican candidates. In a Written statement Ridge says, “I am enormously grateful for the confidence my party expressed in me, the encouragement and kindness of my fellow citizens in Pennsylvania and the valuable counsel I received from so many of my party colleagues.” He says the 2010 race has “significant implications for my party” but he thinks he can better serve his state, party and country in other ways. The announcement comes less than an hour after it was leaked that Sen. Specter will serve as chairman of the crime subcommittee o the Senate Judiciary Committee. Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois currently holds that post. Specter was stripped of committee seniority when he switched parties.

No comments: