Tuesday, May 4, 2010
A broken mercury thermometer prompted the evacuation of Chartiers Valley High School and the adjoining Chartiers Valley Middle School. District spokesperson Chuck McCartney says the students were moved to the school’s stadium as a precaution. Mercury exposure can lead to brain, kidney and lung damage but is not usually harmful in small amounts over short periods of time. The break came shortly before the high school was to be dismissed for the day so students were sent home from the stadium. Middle school was released about a half hour later. Police, fire and HAZMAT crews were called to the scene. The schools are expected to be in session tomorrow.
Posted by Mark Nootbaar at 3:28 PM