Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vigil Ceremony Planned

A vigil ceremony to commemorate victims of gun violence will be held on Tuesday evening from 6pm to 7:30pm at the Pittsburgh Project Sanctuary at 2801 North Charles Street.

The names of the more than 100 people who have died violently in the North Side since 1993 will be read off.

Organizer Will Tompkins is the director of community outreach at The Pittsburgh Project. He has arranged three other vigils in previous years. He says its important to remember the victims of gun violence as people, not just statistics. He has lived on the North Side most of his life.

"I know many of those young people. I've helped to bury them by raising money, I've been a pallbearer, I've had relatives who have been impacted as well. So for me, its part of my everyday," he said.

No comments: