The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office says one worker was killed and three others became sickened this afternoon at the Sewickley Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Police say a worker was in a 30-foot hole at the plant when he radioed up for help, admitting that he felt lightheaded. When three workers went down to help, they were apparently overcome by fumes, causing them to pass out. Initial reports indicated that the cause may have been exposure to methane gas.
No names have been released. The three sickened workers are being treated at Allegheny General Hospital, who reports that two are in good condition, and one is in fair condition.
The Water Authority is working on two improvement projects, including one to reduce odors that emanate from the plant.