Monday, July 13, 2009

Rendell Reviews GOP Budget

Despite some qualms with the document, Governor Ed Rendell says the budget plan introduced Friday by House Republicans is a step in the right direction. The governor says that Republicans did well in finding over a billion loose dollars, but adds that the savings is made up of too many one-time cash influxes. He says he would be willing to give up on his proposed personal income tax hike only if the GOP finds another way to bring in money regularly.

“If we can find recurring revenues that produce the right amount of dollars, I am happy to put aside my interest in the P.I.T. But we must find recurring revenues, because we’re not gonna be facing this problem next year, nor do I want my successor as governor to be facing the problem in year three,” says Rendell.

Rendell also says the GOP plan is too harsh on children’s programs. The budget would cut funding to Pre-K Counts, Head Start, and some tutoring programs.

No comments: